DISCLAIMER: I am not a healthcare professional, nor a doctor. These side effects are sourced from my own experience, online articles, many personal anecdotes, and a few clinical studies. It is important to consult a doctor if you are worried for your own health, as I cannot give you proper advice concerning your health. Thank you.
Hey guys, this is a long awaited video explaining the possible side effects of using Minoxidil. My intention is not to scaremonger hesitant users of Minoxidil, but to inform this audience that these side effects are possible due to Minoxidil being a drug.
In this video, I’ll be exploring the undesirable side effects of using Minoxidil 5% on our faces. Because the face has better blood circulation than the scalp, risks of side effects increase.
If you don’t like my voice lol, here is a list:
• more body hair, everywhere: most likely will fall since these new hairs are vellus hairs.
• effects on heart rate, “heart palpitations” which can be increased or decreased. Typically caused by your body not being used to it.
• Slight chest pain.
• feeling dizzy/light headed. Typically disappears and is infrequent.
• Itchy, dry, skin irritance/burn: most likely caused by the high amount of alcohol.
• hair shedding/beard shedding: common, simply the new hairs pushing out the old. Hair growth cycle: “Normal hair follicles cycle between a growth stage (anagen), a degenerative stage (catagen), a resting stage (telogen), and a shedding stage (exogen).
• “screws up” with your normal skin care regime because of the 4 hour rule with Minoxidil.
• continuous heart palpitations or increased severity. Minimize or stop usage. Maybe Consult doctor
• Continuous dizzyness, chest pain, lightheadedness
• increased severity of chest pain
• increased/decreased blood pressure: One individual reported his blood pressure rising to 150, which is pretty high considering the adult blood pressure should be less than 120.
• folliculitis: inflammation of hair follicles caused by bacterial or fungal infection.
• dark spots around the eyes,
• significant hair growth on the forehead, ears, under eyes.
• shortness of breath
• wrinkling of skin/scare probably due to sun exposure
• Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, rapid weight gain, swelling of face, feet, hands, lip.
• Changes in vision, decreased visual acuity.
• long term cardiovascular effects (we do not know, but studies show that participants applying Minoxidil had more of these cardiovascular effects, and likelihood increases for those that already have cardiovascular conditions. Consult doctor if you’re worried.
• severe chest pain,
• severe dizzyness
• Some even report occasional occurrences of side effects even after months stopping treatment, possibly meaning that Minoxidil led to permanent physiological differences.
• Some instances of ER visits, etc.
Thank you guys for watching and I hope you found this content useful as it took my hours compiling the information and making sure my sources were valid.
References & Sources:
A study showed that 20 participants using Minoxidil had significant increases in LV end-diastolic volume, in cardiac output, and in LV mass. They concluded that healthy subjects short term use of topical Minoxidil is likely not to be detrimental.
“There were no serious side effects. Two instances of allergic contact dermatitis and four of pruritus were attributed to use of the drug. Two individuals complained of impotence, which disappeared within a few days of discontinuation of topical minoxidil.”
“Systemic side effects are uncommon since very little minoxidil is absorbed after topical application. In one study, the serum levels after 2.5 mg twice a day oral versus 2% twice a day topical minoxidil were 32.8 and 1.7 ng per mL, respectively.”