. Do you need information on home remedies for toenail fungus? Which are the most effective toenail fungus home remedies? Heres some information on what causes toenail fungus and how it can be treated.
Are dark, discolored or brittle nails becoming a cause of concern for you? Wondering what causes discoloration of nails? Well, the discoloration and damage to the nails might be attributed to toenail fungus. In medical terminology, toenail fungus is referred to as onychomychosis. It might begin with the formation of tiny white or yellow spots under the toenail, but if left untreated, nails might thicken and become discolored. Wondering what causes toenail fungus? When a group of fungus known as dermatophytes enter the toenails, they start damaging the keratin which makes up the surface of the nail. Since dermatophytes thrive in warm, moist and dark environments, those who are exposed to wet environments are at an increased risk of developing this condition. Wondering how toenail fungus can be treated? Have you ever tried toenail fungus home remedies for treating this condition? Heres some information on the causes, symptoms and home remedies for toenail fungus.
What Causes Toenail Fungus
Frequent exposure of toenails to moist conditions is the most common cause of toenail fungus. Those who have a family history of toenail fungus might also be at an increased risk of developing this condition. The nail fungus can enter the skin through cuts or find a way into spaces between the nail and nail bed. Since it is a contagious disease, sharing a swimming pool or shower used by a person infected with this condition could put you at an increased risk to developing toenail fungus. People who have a habit of wearing closed or tight-fitting shoes all the time are also more vulnerable. Wearing shoes in warm summer months might lead to excessive sweating, as a result, the microbes get an opportunity to thrive on the toenails. Those who dont pay attention to the aspect of nail hygiene might also suffer from this condition. The signs of toenail fungus include formation of spots on toenails. The infected toenail becomes discolored and the texture of the nail might also be affected. A foul smell might also emanate from the infected toenail and the edges might crumble. The nail could also become brittle and might even get detached from the nail bed.
Toenail Fungus Home Remedies
Now that you are aware of the causes of the toenail fungus, lets move on to toenail fungus treatment and home remedies. Though topical application of antifungal creams and ointments can be used for treating this fungal infection, you can also treat it at home with the help of home remedies for toenail fungus. Heres some information on some of the effective home remedies for toenail fungus, yes the nail fungus treatments.
* You can use tea tree oil for treating toenail fungus. Rub the affected toenail with a cotton ball dipped in tea tree oil. Rub this oil on the toenail twice a day.
* Application of apple cider vinegar is also one of the most effective home remedies for toenail fungus cure. Soak your feet in a bucket filled with warm water and apple cider vinegar. Mix one part of vinegar with two parts of warm water and soak your feet for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, rinse your feet and dry them properly.
* Soaking your feet in a bucket filled with equal amounts of water and 3% hydrogen peroxide is also one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus.
* For treating toenail fungus, you can also rub a cotton ball dipped in lime juice. Rub the lime juice for about 10 minutes and wash it off with warm water. Pat your feet dry.
* Apply a mixture made from a teaspoon of olive oil and a few drops of essential oregano oil will also prove beneficial.
* Soaking your toenail in Listerine mouthwash is also one of the effective toenail fungus home remedies. The antiseptic properties of this mouthwash prove beneficial in treating the fungal infection.
* Rubbing alcohol is easily available in all pharmacies. Those suffering from toenail fungus should soak their affected toenails in rubbing alcohol for 20 minutes. Pat them dry after 20 minutes. This must be done twice a day.
* Since onion is known for its anti-fungal properties, rubbing the affected toenails with a sliced onion will also prove beneficial.
So, this was some information on home remedies for toenail fungus treatment. Since toenail fungus is a contagious infection, you must make sure that you wash your feet properly after using public showers or swimming pools. Wearing closed or tight-fitting shoes for long stretches of time must be avoided. Those suffering from toenail fungus can use these toenail fungus home remedies for treating the fungal infection. If toenail fungus symptoms persist even after using these home remedies for toenail fungus, consult a dermatologist soon.