How to make a Bollywood movie
Dabangg is the best example of a formula Bollywood film that can never go wrong. The Salman starrer had just about everything that comprised the ingredients of a box office superhit. So let us decode Bollywood’s second biggest blockbuster Dabangg and analyze how to make a successful Bollywood film taking into account the following factors:
1. The quintessential hero: Salman Khan was no less than ‘Rajnikanth’ in Dabangg. His entry was jaw-dropping, whatever he does; he does with the demeanor of a hero. He has that swagger in his walk, is every bit as human in loving his brethren as he is superhuman in fending off the negative elements. He has his own baggage of problems but that does not stop him from being ‘cool’ in his own inimitable, earthy way. And yes, he romances his lady love with an easy-going charm too.
2. The action: Salman in Dabangg sends 13 people flying in different directions by hitting them where it hurts. Not possible in real life, but what the heck, the visual impact was worth it and who does not like to see objects flying when you kick them and if they suspend in the air, before crashing..even better!
3. The family man: All though seen in 45 movies before Dabangg, it still delved into the story of a son not getting along with his step-father; having issues with his brother, being close to his mother whom he loses eventually. So our guy is still very much, the family person first and has a heart in the right place.
4. The dialogues and locker-room lines: Check out these lines ‘Kamal Kartey ho Pandeyji” “Police Waleko Tokne Ka Anjaam Pata Hai Kya? 21 years jail aur thukai alag se. Aur Isi Police Walene Agar Tumhe Toka Toh Promotion Alagse Aur Bahduri Ka Medal Bhi! “Hum Tumme Itne Chedh Karenge ki confuse ho jaogey ki saans kaise le aur paadhey kahan se?’ ‘Tapad se darr nahin lagtha hain sahib, pyaar se lagtha hain’ All of theses lines and many more were aimed at the masses, but even the classes lapped it up. Why? Because the lines played to the gallery and come on even these high classes people secretly enjoy outrageous lines.
5. Catchy Item Number: A kick-ass item number that becomes the anthem of the nation, without really promoting it . Sheela Ki Jawaani was thrust on our throats, while people demanded Munni Badhnaam Hui; that is the big difference. Also Munni Badhnaam Hui was as much funny as much as it was sexy.
6. Amazing comedy: Comedy and action together can be a brilliant combination. One of the single-most factors for Dabangg to be a racy hit is action laced with comedy. Remember Salman bashing up villains and then breaking into a dance. Okay, it was a bit like Mask but we can forgive that
7. The Momentum: Dabangg had its momentum right from the beginning. From the very first scene, the movie was on the driver’s seat, going full throttle.
8. Good scenes: Okay Guzaarish also had good scenes but people will always remember Dabangg’s scenes; be it the Sonakshi-Salman scene, Salman Khan’s challenge to Sonu Sood, the entry scene or the final scene; because boss, they brought in the whistles. People often go to a movie theater with their friends or date; they don’t want to cry at the hero’s hopeless condition; they would rather be motivated while having fun.
9. Attitude and channelized star power: In today’s times, the movie has to get cracking immediately or it may be too late. Salman Khan’s massive star power got the audiences in but that alone was not enough. Sallu had been getting people into theaters many times, but they were happy to walk out when they saw inferior content. But this time, they didn’t; they clapped with glee. This was because Salman Khan’s starpower was projected in the best manner possible. This was the most RELATABLE Salman Khan movie for him as well as the audiences.
Speaking of attitude, there are some movies that have attitude while others do not. Rangeela had an attitude, 3 Idiots too; Rang De Basanti had it in loads, Swades had it and so did Tere Naam. It is not just about being stylish; in all these movies, you have characters with clear mindset; they are sure about what they want and have their own style and charisma. In Dabangg too, Salman Khan is comfortable in his own skin and takes pride in what he does. People love that. This is also ONE BIG REASON WHY RAJNIKANTH’s MOVIES rock.
10. The climax: Dabangg’s climax was an icing on the cake. It was better than the action in the beginning. The message was clear on the wall; If you loved the start, the finale will turn out even better.
Dabangg is not a brilliant movie, heck, it is not even a good movie. But yes, it is a smartly made, ENTERTAINING movie, with all elements balanced in such a way that you end up enjoying akin to the way you’d relish a seven course meal that may not be nutritious but definitely tasty. Want another helping?