Natural Remedies for Painful Menstruation, Menstrual Cramps Treatment
Painful menstruation or menstrual cramps are quite common in menstruating women. Medically termed as Dysmenorrhea, painful menstrual cramps are experienced more by the younger women. The symptoms generally subside after pregnancy and with aging. Menstrual cramps can be severe for some women, while many may not experience this at all throughout their fertility period. Painful cramps start few days before the onset of menstruation and subside within 1-2 days of the period. Painful menstruation do not call for any medical intervention unless the pain is severe enough to paralyze the daily activities.
Women suffer varying degrees of pain in the abdominal and pelvic area during the periods that can start few days before the periods. Painful menstruation usually last for one or two days during the periods.
Other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, loose motion and dizziness may accompany painful menstruation.
Menstrual cramps result due to the release of the hormone prostaglandins, which helps in the contraction of uterus to shed the endometrial lining. Menstrual cramps are severe at a young age when the uterus starts functioning normally and recedes with aging.
Stress, depression and anxiety are other secondary factors that lead to painful menstruation. Secondary dysmenorrhea can arise due to cysts and fibroids in the uterus and ovaries and other inflammatory pelvic diseases.
Natural Remedies for Painful Menstruation
Menstrual cramps is not an abnormal condition but can be reduced to a great extent through the following natural remedies.
1. Applying heating pads on the lower abdomen help in reducing the pain significantly. One can also apply hot compress with a padded cloth.
2. Herbal tea prepared from the herb Chamomile is also very helpful in reducing menstrual cramps. To a cup of boiling water, add two teaspoonfuls of dried Chamomile powder and keep it for 5 minutes. Strain the mixture and drink it adding little honey or sugar. One can also take this tea few days before the start of the menstruation cycle.
3. Ginger tea prepared from ginger root is also very effective in reducing menstrual cramps. Add few pieces of ginger root in a cup of water and simmer it for ten minutes. Strain the liquid and drink it adding little honey.
4. Make sure that your diet is enriched with calcium, magnesium and Vitamin B. Calcium is highly beneficial in toning the muscles and preventing cramps. Drink few cups of milk during the periods to get relief from the cramps.
5. Magnesium helps in calcium absorption. Nuts, tofu, salmon and green vegetables are rich in magnesium. Include these food items in your daily diet to reduce the pains.
Read more about Painful Menstruation Treatment. Also know about Female Libido Enhancer. Read effective ways to Increase Female Libido.