A holiday favorite, this is a great pie to serve year round. Start with cooked, mashed and whipped potatoes. The extra step of whipping the sweet potatoes creates a dessert that is smooth and creamy and without lumps. Add sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and whole milk. Stir to combine, spoon into an unbaked pie crust, bake until golden brown, and top with homemade meringue.
Create mashed sweet potatoes by rinsing potatoes in water, scrubbing with vegetable brush, dicing into 1/2″ squares and boiling in lightly salted water for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and add potato squares to large bowl. Using hand mixer, whip potatoes until smooth.
Whip the sweet potatoes with an electric mixer. This will produce a smooth creamy pie with no lumps.
Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
2 cups Cooked, Mashed Sweet Potatoes
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 Stick Butter, melted
2 Large Eggs
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon Coarse Salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1 cup Whole Milk
1 (9-inch) Unbaked Pie Crust
3 Egg Whites
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Add mashed sweet potatoes, 1-cup sugar, melted butter, eggs, pure vanilla extract, coarse salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger to large mixing bowl.
3. Stir to combine.
4. Stir in whole milk.
5. Place pie crust into glass pie plate.
6. Spoon sweet potato mixture into pie crust. Bake 50 minutes.
7. Remove pie from oven and place on wire rack.
8. Place the pie on a rack and cool to room temperature.
1. Add egg whites to mixing bowl and beat until soft peaks form. While beating stir in sugar one tablespoon at a time.
2. Beat until sugar dissolves and meringue is glossy and stiff.
3. Spoon meringue on to cooled pie with large rubber spatula.
4. Sprinkle meringue with a pinch of granulated sugar.
5. Bake 10 minutes, or until delicately browned.