Baldness, also known as alopecia results from hair loss. Hair has a link with one’s youth, fashion and sexuality. Appearance remains incomplete and imperfect without hair. Loss of hair or baldness is a sensitive issue for many. The first signs of baldness may cause a person to cringe and retreat in to a shell. It may give a shattering blow to one’s self-confidence. Baldness usually begins with the thinning of hair line and may continue in to loss of 99% hair.
In males, loss of hair leads to formation of bald spots or patches on the crown of head. In females, loss of hair is characterized not by bald patches but by diffused thinning of hair and receding hair, making the foreheads look extended and huge. Losing 50-100 strands of hair daily is nothing abnormal. The lost hair is replaced by new hair. However with age, hair may not re-grow with the same pace or re-growth may stop altogether leading to hair thinning and baldness. Surgical grafting or weaving of hair has become popular these days to tackle the problem of baldness.
Classification of Baldness
1. Circular, coin-sized bald patches or alopecia areata.
2. Traction alopecia or thinning of hair from the zone of tight braids or ponytails.
3. Trichotillomania or the habit of pulling out hair by twisting.
4. Tinea capitis or hair loss due to fungal infection.
Causes of Baldness
3. Nutritional deficiency
4. Physical stress
5. Traumatic injury or surgery
6. Fungal infection of scalp
7. Emotional stress
8. Improper hair care
9. Intake of junk food
10. Prolonged illness
11. Excess intake of vitamins
12. Hormonal turbulence during pregnancy and menopause in women.
13. Certain medications
14. Certain diseases thyroid malfunctioning, anemia
15. Taking of contraceptive pills
16. Cancer and chemotherapy
17. Nervous habits like scalp rubbing and hair twisting and pulling.
Effective and Safe Natural Home Remedies for Baldness
1. A paste made out of 3-4 tablespoons of curd and camphor may be applied on bald patches for hair re-growth.
2. A mixture of honey and egg yolk may be applied on scalp, left for 20 minutes and then washed off. This is an effective baldness remedy.
3. Application of a mixture of onion juice and honey on bald areas can induce hair growth.
4. Applying a mixture of 2 tablespoon honey, 3 tablespoon cinnamon powder and 2-3 tablespoon olive oil can stop hair fall and check balding.
5. Rubbing cut pieces of lemon on bald patches is the easiest way to get back hair.
6. A mixture of powdered lemon seeds and black pepper along with water may be applied on bald areas. This is a hair inductive remedy.
7. Application of a mixture of mango pulp and mustard oil shows positive results in eradicating baldness.
8. Powdered Indian gooseberry when applied on bald patches, tackles well the problem of baldness.
9. One may soak 15-20 fenugreek seeds in 1 liter water, and leave it overnight. Washing scalp with this water is beneficial for treating baldness.
10. Massaging bald scalp with coconut milk brings back hair.
11. Massaging bald areas in circular motion with a mixture of almond oil and castor oil is a useful treatment for baldness.